I met Nick a few weeks back when I was presenting in Denver.
After my presentation we got chatting about injuries and the effect the food we eat has on it.
I asked if he could share some of his ideas here with you.
There are two ways to get out of pain:
1) External Intervention: stretching, soft tissue work, strengthening, etc. When used in the right amount and timing, they will fix the root cause of the problem.
Rick Kaselj knows its stuff: his new Fix My Shoulder Pain program helped me stabilize my shoulder joint in less than 2 weeks.
2) Internal Intervention: medicine, supplements… but also food. The goal of an internal intervention is usually to reduce inflammation.
What is Inflammation?
But what is inflammation anyway? Is it what this guy is experiencing?
I’ll call Wikipedia for help:
“Inflammation is a protective attempt by the organism to remove the injurious stimuli and to initiate the healing process. Without inflammation, wounds and infections would never heal.”
In plain English, when you’re trying to get pain-free and heal, you actually NEED inflammation to occur.
The problem is: most people experience what is called acute or chronic inflammation.
The same way too little inflammation will slow down the healing process, too much of it will keep you in pain longer.
That’s when the doc comes in:
You: My neck/back/shoulders/soul hurts like crazy.
Doc: Take these pills! Magic!
(4 weeks later…)
You: My neck/back/shoulders/soul hurts even if I take the pills.
Doc: Take MORE pills! Magic!
Now that’s a problem, let me show you why:
- You can’t rely on pills for the rest of your life and
- They will take a toll on your liver and overall health in the long run.
Instead of relying solely on medicine, I suggest you Eat Your Way Pain-Free.
How to Eat Your Way Pain-Free
How do you do that exactly?
From my experience as a nutrition coach, getting rid of chronic inflammation through diet isn’t all about adding anti-inflammatory food; it’s much more effective to REMOVE the inflammatory foods.
The problem is: these inflammatory foods are not what you think. In fact, most of them are probably what you consider “healthy foods”.
5 Inflammatory Foods
So here’s what you should focus on removing from your diet if you want to double your recovery process and get pain-free faster than with just external intervention or pills:
1) Sugar – This one is obvious. Nothing damages the digestive track like sugar. The medical community is starting to agree on the fact that chronic inflammation often starts in your gut, the biggest part of your immune system.
2) Alcohol – I also like my Friday night drink-out, but keep in mind that beer or any other alcoholic beverage damages your gut flora and liver when consumed in excess.
Now to the less obvious ones:
3) Grains – Refined or not, grains are inflammatory. That’s even worst if you’re gluten-sensitive, like 10-15 % (depending on the sources) of the world’s population. The phytic acid and lecithins in grains are a problem for most people, even without allergies or intolerance.
4) Refined Vegetable Oil – Canola, soy, safflower, corn, sunflower, you name it. Even though these oils are advertised as healthy and trans-fat free, they actually contain up to 4.6% trans-fat, according to independent research from the University of Florida at Gainesville.
Turns out the heavy refining of these oils destroy the healthy fats and turn them into highly inflammatory by-products.
5) Pasteurized Dairy – 75% of the world’s population is intolerant to lactose. That’s because the pasteurisation process destroys the healthy bacteria and enzymes in raw milk, and make this popular beverage very hard to digest.
These are just some of the inflammatory foods most people are consuming on a daily basis.
In my new book, Healthy or Not, I reveal dozens of other foods you should avoid if you want to get pain-free faster, and healthy alternatives you can use (because there are alternatives).
Keep it simple and healthy,